For those who wish to be more active in their support of BGR, there are many opportunities available. To volunteer your services, please send a message using our Contact Us page.
Below is the list of current openings:
Job Title: Local event coordinators
Job/Task Description: Persons to lead the organization and production of fundraising events such as Walks to Feed the Hungry and Concerts to Feed the Hungry. Responsible for creating and managing a team of volunteers, interface with BGR Staff, securing venue and selecting date for event, publicizing event, and managing the donations process under the guidance of BGR Staff.
• Attention to detail, highly organized
• Skill at managing teams of disparate individuals
• Willingness to delegate responsibility and supervise teams
• Ability to communicate consistently via email, text, and telephone
• Experience with fundraising is beneficial, but not required
Time Needed: Varies over time and with size of event
Availability: Need to be able to devote more time in the period leading up to the event (Walks are held in the fall). Up to 15-20 hours per week in busiest time.
Tools Needed: Computer and internet access
Primary contact: Executive Director
Job Title: Writer
Job/Task Description: Writing content for Helping Hands newsletter, Annual Report, website, appeals and other items as needed.
Traits: Experience writing and editing for newspapers, scholarly journals, magazines, or newsletters.
Skills/Requirements: Ability to use MS Word or Open Office to produce high quality, grammatically correct and readable content.
Location: Live anywhere
Time Needed: Variable.
Availability: Since the deadlines for publications recur regularly, it is possible to forecast periods of intense activity when the volunteer needs to be available for quick turnaround of materials.
Tools Needed: Computer, email.
Primary contact(s): Executive Director
Job Title: Facebook Page Administrator
Responsible for all apsects of administration of BGR’s Facebook page.
Traits: Organized; detail-oriented; possessing a genuine interest in using social media as a platform for social change and engagement; a flexible team-player.
- Familiarity with and enthusiasm for BGR and its mission, and awareness of current events regarding poverty, hunger, climate change and other issues relevant to BGR’s mission.
- Experience as a Facebook Page Administrator for business or non-profit organizations; ability to routinely post items of interest relating to BGR activities and its mission, with strong writing and editing skills.
- The candidate will also be able to research and identify engaging current news items and emerging themes relevant to BGR’s work; possess basic HTML coding skills to customize BGR Facebook Page posts, notes, and tabs; identify and post visually compelling photos and video.
Time Needed: Approximately 3-5 hours a week.
Availability: Postings on Facebook should be daily to the extent possible.
Tools Needed: Internet access, computer, e-mail, basic image editing software
Primary contact(s): Communications Chair, Executive Director
Job Title: Bookkeeper
- receiving off-line donation checks and Excel file donation log from mailperson
- logging checks in as received in donation log
- e-mailing updated donation log back to mailperson
- endorsing checks
- completing deposit slip
- photocopying or scanning deposit package and maintaining annual files for these.
- updating any existing donor address changes in Quickbooks On-line accounting system (Quickbooks)
- entering new donor address info into Quickbooks
- recording deposit transactions into Quickbooks
- create Bank Deposit Donor list for current deposit by downloading deposit transaction info from Quickbooks into Excel and adding any special donor notes/new address alerts
- e-mail Bank Deposit Donor list to communications/IT for acknowledgement and entry into donor database.
Traits: Organized; detail-oriented; confidentiality
- Previous bookkeeping experience
- Intermediate level Excel skills
- Practicing Buddhist
- Must live in Northern NJ within proximity of a Lakeland Bank branch.
Time Needed: Approximately 2 hours a week. It will take a little longer after appeals and events, when check donations come in more heavily.
Availability: Schedule should be fairly regular. Requires someone who does not travel a great deal.
Tools Needed: Internet access, car, computer, email, Excel, photocopier or scanner.
Primary contact(s): Treasurer
Job Title: Web Developer
Job/Task Description:Programmer for web site maintenance and database management; assist with maintenance of the BGR web site and of the contact and donation database
Traits: Willingness to collaborate with others and meet commitments reached by mutual agreement
- Writing HTML and CSS code using Adobe Creative Suite tools, e.g., Dreamweaver
- Editing images
- Familir with MySql databases and SQL queries
Location: Live anywhere
Time Needed: Varies but usually no more than 4 hours per week
Availability: Dependent on projects
Tools Needed: Computer, Internet access, Adobe Creative Suite (Dreamweaver and Photoshop), and a MySQL management system
Primary contact(s): IT Committee
Job Title: Graphic Artist for Web Content and Print Production
Job/Task Description: Graphic Artist for web content and print production to assist designers and IT in preparing files to be web-ready and/or print-ready. Should be especially good at preparing photos and optimizing them for both the web and print. Will need to review, troubleshoot, and clean up photos and html files. Create charts and graphics in Illustrator.
Traits: Attention to detail
Skills/Requirements: Expert at Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign. Basic Microsoft Word, Dreamweaver (for web content)
Location: Live anywhere
Time Needed: Varies
Availability: Dependent on projects; usually after work hours
Tools Needed: Computer, internet, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, and Microsoft Word; For web content also need: HTML, Dreamweaver,
Primary contact(s): Communications Chair, IT Chair, graphic designers